2019 - Cobbles and stones
From the 2019 programme booklet:
From Monday the 11th of March till Friday the 15th of March 2019, the 9thedition of the Leuven DisABILITY film festival takes place. This year our slogan is ‘Cobbles and stones’.
Cobbles and stones aren’t always fun for people with disabilities. They are a cause of worry for wheelchair users, and complicate the use of the white stick. Furthermore, cobbles and stones are an image of resistance and barricades.
Through movie screenings, workshops and lectures, in this 9th edition we put the spotlight on both the repression as well as the activism of disabled people.
Monday 11 March
- 14h: Opening lecture “Stel het wordt normaal om af te wijken” by Professor Trudy Dehue (Groningen University)
- 15h: Opening debate with a.o. Stefan Perceval, Mira Bryssinck and Rob Vanoudenhoven (moderator: Jan Hautekiet)
- 18h30: Opening movie La vérité, Julien Bourges
Tuesday 12 March
- 13h: Iep!, Rita Horst
- 19h: I, Daniel Blake, Ken Loach
Wednesday 13 March
- 14h: Workshop“Handicap en film in de klas” led by Susan Vertoont (UGent)
- 14h: Down the road, Dieter Coppens
- 19h: Tot altijd, Nick Balthazar
Thursday 14 March
- 19h: Defiant lives, Sarah Barton
Friday 15 March
- 19h: The King’s speech, Tom Hooper
DisABILITY film festival
How we work
Since 2011, the DisABILITY film festival has been engaging in stimulating discussion around the existing imaging of people with disabilities. To this end, the festival’s organisers cooperate with disability organisations that engage themselves for people with disabilities daily. Our ultimate dream is to create a shift in mentality in the cultural sector especially, and in society on a broader level.